John is currently developing new educational offerings on the Northern Rivers – emphasizing the importance of living. This includes Living Kinder, Living School, and Living Learning.
On returning to Australia from Bali, where he was the Head of School of Green School, John wanted to address the neediest end of the educational spectrum – and so took on teaching duties in the Ngulingah Aboriginal education program, operating out of Southern Cross Distance Education.
John accepted the role of Head of School at Green School in December, 2013.
John’s focus is innovative, holistic and child-centred. With over 20 years of experience, John’s professional expertise is far-ranging. He has a Master of Education from the University of Cambridge, produced a multimedia CD ROM and textbook on writing, called Write Online back in 2000 (published by Nelson Thorne), been a company director of a multimedia publishing company, Harmony Interactive, and co-authored with the widely acclaimed child psychologist, Dr John Irvine, Thriving at School: a handbook for parents.
He regularly updates his educational blogs to share his thoughts and points of interest.
These achievements come on top of his wide-ranging educational background:
• 1990 – 1992: Brainstorm productions, North Coast NSW Actor touring schools performing healthy lifestyle and conflict resolution shows.
• 1993 – 1997: Hill House International School, London – a privately owned coeducation prep school in the heart of London, famous for children walking in crocodile file wearing knickerbockers and gold jumpers. Games teacher; English teacher; Head of Section;
• 1997 – 2002: St John’s College School, Cambridge (voted by Tattler magazine as the UK’s best prep school) – world renowned for its Choristers and red blazers; Head of English; Editor of the Eaglet (the school’s year book publication) Director of Studies;
• 2003: Barker College, Hornsby, Sydney Three terms teaching as a Year Six teacher
• 2003 – 2008: Head of Junior School at Central Coast Grammar – a coeducational day school on the Central Coast of NSW.
• 2008 – 2013: Headmaster of Tudor House, Moss Vale, Southern Highlands. Australia’s only stand-alone primary boys’ boarding school, famous for its focus on responsible risk taking.
• 2013 – 2015: Head of Green School, Bali
• 2015 – 2016: Teacher for the Ngulingah Aboriginal program
• 2016 – present: Teacher Quality Advisor, Dep’t of Education NSW
John has taught in public and independent schools. He has featured on television in The Politically Incorrect Parenting Show, The Project, as well as giving interviews on Australian local and national radio stations. He has represented APPA on a panel working to develop Australian Standards for Boarding Schools. He has also been liaison Head for the Deputies’ group in IPSHA. He is an authority on learning, teaching, curriculum development, assessment, boys’ education, technology in education and developing writing skills.
He is a sought after international speaker on education, presenting at the Estoril Conference in Cascais, Portugal (2015), Next Generation Learning Spaces in Singapore (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018), Next Generation Learning Spaces in Shanghai (2015), and Next Generation Learning Spaces in Sydney (2018). He has also consulted for The Royal Academy in Bhutan (2015) and Aditya Birla World Academy, Mumbai (2018).
In 2013 he was awarded a National Excellence in Teaching Award for Leadership – one of only twelve nationally (Australia), and one of only two in NSW.
In 2014 he was awarded an international Golden Goody Award for Social Good – one of only six awarded per annum.